Skip to main content

Sleep - or the lack thereof

There are about a million books on how to get your baby to sleep well and ideally through the night. I've read most of these (ok, I've read 3-4, but that's still a lot for one subject). I understand the importance of Jack's getting good sleep now. I've tried to make this a priority.

Over the last 7-10 days, Jack has given us a run for our money regarding sleep. Let me explain. Just after Thanksgiving, Justin and I decided that it was time for Jack to drop the 2 am feeding. I started a bit of cry-it-out. Surprisingly, it went well. Jack cried for 20-25 minutes, then settled himself and went back to sleep. I was able to skip not just the 2 am, but also the 5 am a couple of nights. On average, he was sleeping from 10-5 which was a big improvement.

Well, last week, Jack decided to change things up. First, he started fighting going to bed at night - something that had previously not been an issue. Then, he started waking up every 1.5-2 hours. I tried the cry-it-out technique that had worked so well the previous week - it failed miserably. Jack was in tears. I was in tears. Neither of us were getting much sleep. It felt like we had a newborn again. Only this newborn didn't tire himself out with crying. We struggled through several days with 5 hours of fragmented sleep. Fortunately, Christine (Jack's Nanny) was working part time. She kept me sane during the day. My mom flew up to keep me sane at night. I wouldn't have made it through without this support! (Justin wasn't MIA - he was unfortunately on a very long business trip - he's been great since he's been home).

I'm happy to say that whatever was bothering Jack seems to be passing. He slept much better last night and has had two days of good naps. Fingers crossed that this trend continues....and that I haven't jinxed us by writing about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Echo echo echo...

We welcomed a new pet to our home: Echo, a lovely red Betta. The name is all Spence, though he did pose a few other suggestions. Spence: I'm going to name it Bluey. Me: the fish is red. Spence: then I'll name it Reddy. Me: Let's stick with Echo. That's a cool name.

Sunday Afternoon in the Park

Could be a well known play, but in this case, it's the new Yankee Stadium. I picked up tickets Thursday afternoon for today's game against the Toronto Blue Jays. This is the first game we've been to at the new stadium. The new stadium is very nice - much more in line with other new stadiums. There is a lot more space in the walkways - more food options - and much better bathrooms! The latter being most important to me right now. Our tickets were in left field in the upper deck. All in all, decent seats - but the sun made them a bit unbearable. The game started off slow - I mean slow. The first two innings took almost 2 hours. We were roasting in the sun! Eventually, we decided to walk around to check out the rest of the stadium and get out of the sun. The game got much better after we starting moving. Eventually, we ended up on the first level watching the game from the walkway. The pregnancy bump paid off, because one of the ushers in this area let us sit down in the shade